On 10th December 1931 the Company began life on Marton Street in Skipton manufacturing Single and Double Jersey Knitwear. It continued in this way for the next 46 years. In 1972 the Company was taken over by Bodycote International Plc group which also included the companies of William Denby Dyers and Finishers, Valdown Knitting Company, Supercraft and the weaving companies of the Taylor & Hartley Group.
The knitting trade was badly affected by the recession in the early 1970’s which lead to the Mill closing its manufacturing base in 1977. The decision was made at this time to change from knitting to weaving, initially using commission weavers in the local area.
The 80's saw Marton Mills set up their own production plant at Tong Park, Baildon with four second hand Sulzer Weaving Machines. The mill was weaving 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, primarily supplying the Schoolwear market.
2009 A Karl Mayer sample warping machine was purchased to give the company greater flexibility in warping and facilitated a move into the Scottish Kilt market to give us an alternative market to school wear giving a greater all year business. 2014 Laura Watts became MD and Duncan became Chairman and Started the weekly service delivering kilt lengths to Scotland. By 2017 they were now producing over 20,000 metres of cloth every week which is dispatched worldwide. 2018 New Solar Panels are fitted to help improve the Company Carbon Footprint and they achieved New BSI Quality Standard to meet with ISO 9001:2015
Marton Mills offer the Tailoring Industry a fantastic range of quality tartans and tweeds which represents great value for money, a saving we can then pass on to our customers. They are also a pleasure to deal with.W